THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

Hi friends, the "Virtual Shadows" blog has during the first weekend of February 2009 been migrated to a new site. The new url is: http://www.virtualshadows.com.

The new RSS feed is: http://virtualshadows.wordpress.com/feed/.

The new blog space provides a better toolset to be able to share content with you. It also provides improved privacy controls.

See you in my new virtual home!

Saturday, 15 September 2007

Breathing some life back into an old machine

Hi readers, I've been really busy in my spare time over the last week or so. I had an old Shuttle machine that I built about 5 years ago when I was living in Switzerland, and decided it was time to breath a bit of life back into this beauty. So I installed Novell SUSE Linux. I had some problems with the graphics... as I wanted to run -of course- Second Life on this machine. Bought a Radeon graphics card, that sort of works, but no fancy wobbly windows and 3d cube, but it works. The monitor wasn't listed -a Samsung SyncMaster 152s, but I worked out the parameters. In fact it is looking sort of neat. Tried both Gnome and KDE desktops, must say that KDE is looking tidier and more advanced. I reckon this machine has at least 1-2 years life left... thanks to Linux. Very neat OS and 60 days free evaluation. The license cost is only about €47 for a years subscription, much less expensive than MS. If you're fed-up with MS, then try it out. It feels sort of satisfying not to throw out that old machine, that is not really so old after all!

No comments: